Earlier this week, I showed you the comic book inspired corsage I made for my son’s prom date. Today, I’ll share with you the matching boutonniere along with how to make it!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Comic Books
- Tissue Paper
- Italian Crepe Paper
- 18 gauge wire
- Floral Tape
- Glue Gun
- Faux Leaves
- Faux Feathers
Begin by creating the center of your flower:
- Cut a 6″ piece of crepe paper and fringe the edge. Bend the top of an 18 gauge wire down 1/2″. Cut two 1.5″ squares from the tissue paper.
- Wrap the fringed crepe paper around the bent end of the 18 gauge wire and secure with hot glue.
- Cut a petal shape from the 2 square pieces of tissue paper.
- Glue the tissue petals to either side of the crepe paper center and wrap with floral tape.
Next, make your petals:
- Cut 30 petal shapes from your comic book paper. Your petals should be about 2″ tall, 1.5″ wide at the top and 1″ wide at the base.
- Shape your petals by overlapping two petals, creating a pleated fold down the center and pinching the ends together. You will have 15 petals total.
- Secure the petals to the flower center with glue overlapping each set by a 1/2″. Finish with floral tape.
Finish your boutonniere with two faux leaves and two faux feathers. Secure with floral tape.
Snip your wire stem and curl the end around a pencil for a professional finished look.
To attach your boutonniere to your lapel use two high powered magnets. Simply glue one magnet to your flower and slip the other one to the back side of your lapel.